[plug] updating Debian kernel

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Feb 3 05:11:05 WST 2006

I had read in a document online that HT does not really add much to the overall performance, and in some cases decrease the performance.
Since this is a gateway server it really wouldn't matter that much.

Thanks

On 2 Feb 2006 at 6:06, Jon  Miller wrote:

> I need to do a kernel update on our Debian server from 2.4.26 to 2.6.11 or
> better.  When I did a apt-cache search kernel-image 2 of the images I got
> was: kernel-image-2.6-686 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6 on
> PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4. kernel-image-2.6-686-smp - Linux kernel image
> for version 2.6 on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4 SMP. The server has a P4
in
> it, from what I remember there is a feature in the BIOS that can turn
on
> or off the Hyperthreading and with it on it's possible

8<----------- snip --------------->8

Some months ago - I did a default install of Fedora Core 3 on a P4 which
had hyperthreading disabled in the BIOS :

The installer still detected the capabilities of the P4 and installed
both the default kernel as well as the SMP kernel.

When rebooting the PC the Grub bootloader menu gave options to start
either the default kernel or the SMP kernel.

So I simply re-enabled the HT in the bios - but with the level of work I
do with Linux, I personally did not see the difference in performance.

Regards Arie
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au