[plug] S.U.S.E 10 - Install - Partitioning

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 3 08:14:48 WST 2006

"Arie Hol" <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> writes:

>I am currently preparing my main desktop machine so I can install S.U.S.E
>10 OSS.

>The S.U.S.E. 10 installer tells me that my / partition does not have
>enough free space - dialog shows that it needs at least 800 Mb.

>Is this right ?

Perhaps because you don't have a separate /opt and /tmp

Lots of stuff gets put into /tmp; even when it really belongs in
/var/tmp.

>I prefer to do my partitioning manually, rather than let the installer do
>it for me.

>My current partitioning regime is as follows :

>/	455 Mb	/dev/hda2
>/boot	196 Mb	/dev/hda3
>/usr	7,000 Mb	/dev/hda5
>/var	1,000 Mb	/dev/hda6
>/home	1,500 Mb	/dev/hda7
>swap	1,000 Mb	/dev/hda8

>The above regime has served me well for many of my past Linux installs,
>but it looks like it may time to make some changes.

>My PC specs are :

>P4 3.0Ghz (Prescott)
>512 Mb RAM

>ATI Radeon 9200 SE - 128Mb

>1 x HDD @ 80 Gb
>1 x HDD @ 30 Gb

>1 x 17" CRT

>Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Consider the following to accommodate a "chunky" installation with
additional software installed (PageStream, VariCAD, Cadsoft Eagle)
	fs	size	initial free
	/	2G	1.5G
	/usr	8G	3.5G
	/opt	8G	5.0G
	/var	4G	2.5G
	/srv	8G	7.9G

Allocate 512MB of swap on the first drive, and 1G on the second.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.