[plug] S.U.S.E 10 - Install - Partitoning

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Feb 3 21:43:59 WST 2006

I have completed a default installation of S.U.S.E. 10

This email is coming at you from Evolution.

Thanks to all who provided advice re the partitioning of my HDD.

My old partitioning regime was as follows :

/     	455 Mb  	/dev/hda2
/boot   196 Mb  	/dev/hda3
/usr    7,000 Mb        /dev/hda5
/var    1,000 Mb        /dev/hda6
/home   1,500 Mb        /dev/hda7
swap    1,000 Mb        /dev/hda8

My new partitioning regime is as follows :

/     	2,000 Mb  	/dev/hda2
/boot     500 Mb  	/dev/hda3
swap	1,000 Mb	/dev/hda5
/usr    8,000 Mb        /dev/hda6
/var      500 Mb        /dev/hda7
/opt      800 Mb        /dev/hda8
/tmp      854 Mb        /dev/hda9
/home   1,500 Mb        /dev/hda10

The machine will remain as a dual boot machine, because a lot the
software I need has no equivalent on Linux (yet!).

Total time from booting DVD to first desktop was approximately 25
minutes.

Setting up a "Custom Partitioning Scheme" with the installer was clear
and simple.

Every thing went well during the install - all hardware was detected and
setup - but the printer does not respond.

Printer :	Epson Stylus 640 color

Will try some other drivers and maybe consider buying a newer model in
the near future.

Scanner :	HP 4300c

Not installed/configured because I forget to plug it in due to current
lack of desktop space.

So far - so good.

Regards Arie