[plug] Novell Desktop Linux 10 Technology demo Videos

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Feb 5 05:46:07 WST 2006

Evert van Dijk wrote:
> I have not seen anything this impressive since I saw the 1st previews
> for MacOSXs Desktop.
>
> Linux Desktop has definately come up leaps and bounds. After seeing this
> it is going to be hard to convince anyone that the Desktop is not a
> viable option for Business Users.

The eye candy is stunning.. but what about the applications?
As always, it's the end game...

OpenOffice.Org has come in leaps and bounds, but we still don't have a viable replacement for the
Outlook/Exchange combo. It's coming, but it's not there yet.

As for stuff like Autocad (picture a 5000 desktop enterprise with Acad installed on every desktop)
it becomes a doorstop preventing deployment of anything non Microsoft. :(

Yes, the eye candy is important to be able to sell it to the PHB's, but without the applications it
will never make it past the due diligence stage.

/me does the developers monkey dance without the jiggling fat and sweaty bits

Brad