[plug] Novell Desktop Linux 10 Technology demo Videos

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 5 08:39:51 WST 2006

Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> writes:
>Evert van Dijk wrote:
>> I have not seen anything this impressive since I saw the 1st
>> previews for MacOSXs Desktop.

>> Linux Desktop has definately come up leaps and bounds. After
>> seeing this it is going to be hard to convince anyone that the
>> Desktop is not a viable option for Business Users.

>The eye candy is stunning.. but what about the applications?
>As always, it's the end game...

>OpenOffice.Org has come in leaps and bounds, but we still don't
>have a viable replacement for the Outlook/Exchange combo. It's
>coming, but it's not there yet.

Who needs a telephone that's also a washer-dryer?

One of the major problems in terms of users being effective in their
use of computers is obfuscation. It's a barrier to them gaining an
understanding of the fundamentals, not only of the application, but
also of computers and what the hell they're actually doing.

The vast majority of "enterprise" computer users haven't advanced
beyond the "press blue button when a picture of a banana shows on
the screen".

>As for stuff like Autocad (picture a 5000 desktop enterprise with
>Acad installed on every desktop) it becomes a doorstop preventing
>deployment of anything non Microsoft. :(

VariCAD does a fairly good job at importing/exporting 2D AutoCAD.
It's also *far* less costly and is quite easy to use for 3D
modelling from the outset.

You'd also be hard-pressed finding an enterprise with 5000 AutoCAD
*licences* for each of its desktops.

AutoCAD is actually pretty close to crap for proper Engineering.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.