[plug] ISPs in WA

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:49:15 WST 2006

On 06/02/06, Alex Polglaze <apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au> wrote:

> Ranz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it just me or are others of you experiencing bad service with ISPs.
> > Maybe we were spoilt with Arachnet before they "merged". I certainly
> > think so. There has also been some comment about WestNet and iiNet over
> > the recent weeks. We've been well used to Telstra and a few othe> > "National" companies over the years to now be "passive" to their bad
> > service. Is this the result for all ISPs? Do they grow too big and end
> > up loosing the customer support aspect?
>
> I would agree with this comment. Amcon are basically hopeless.
>
> I placed a support call several weeks ago, and eventually got a return call.. G'day this
> is Amcon, you placed a technical call about an hour ago."
>
> "More like three days ago, mate"
>
> "Oh sorry, it says here...."
>
> My two bob's worth, Amcon DEFINITELY not recommended.
>

> Alex

I'm colo'ed with arachnet, and before the switch to amcom support was
great - prompt and friendly. After the switch, I emailed
support at arach.net.au and got an auto-response back from
support at amcom.com.au. Two weeks later I'm still waiting for a reply -
good thing that it turned out to not be urgent.

Apparently Amcom are also notorious for completely forgetting to bill
you, which is both good and bad if true - I'll have to see how things
pan out. I have however seen a ~100ms drop in ping times to the US
since they moved from Telstra's gigabit to Amcom's gigabit, so its not
all bad.

Don't even get me started on iiNet - used to be brilliant but in the
last two years you can expect to wait 30mins for support at the very
least, with mysterious network outages about once a month.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au