[plug] ISPs in WA

Bruce M. Axtens bruce_axtens at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 6 17:09:50 WST 2006

A few times now I've ended up working for iiNet (first
in Sales, then in Support.) Every time it's the same:
the boss just _has_ to go out and acquire another ISP
and everyone else has to scurry about like ants on
amphetamines trying desperately (a) to migrate foreign
systems over to the iiNet standard and (b) to service
a client base which keeps expanding almost
geometrically.

An economist once said that "Small is Beautiful". Some
time later some twit on Wall St. said, "Greed is
Good." The latter raison d'etre seems to prevail.
ISP's start small, go public, start kowtowing to the
desires of shareholders (at the expense of customers),
and catch Acquisition Fever. We end up with another
out-of-touch-with-the-common-man, desperately in need
of a trim, Ugly Aussie Tall Poppy.

Go ahead, start another ISP. But find some way to stay
small. Growth is "mostly harmless."

Bruce.

---
Warning:
This web site contains images and information which might disturb some viewers,
it may also affect the way you perceive the world around you
-- http://www.answersingenesis.org.au