[plug] ISPs in WA

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Feb 7 20:38:23 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 11:24, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Monday 06 February 2006 14:49, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> > I'm colo'ed with arachnet, and before the switch to amcom support was
> > great - prompt and friendly. After the switch, I emailed
> > support at arach.net.au and got an auto-response back from
> > support at amcom.com.au. Two weeks later I'm still waiting for a reply -
> > good thing that it turned out to not be urgent.
>
> Similar experience here. Eric is none too happy with how they're
> treating his customers.
>
> > Apparently Amcom are also notorious for completely forgetting to bill
> > you, which is both good and bad if true - I'll have to see how things
> > pan out. I have however seen a ~100ms drop in ping times to the US
> > since they moved from Telstra's gigabit to Amcom's gigabit, so its
> > not all bad.
>
> However, their Wanneroo exchange DSLAM was going to be switched to
> high-speed (8x1Mb) LAST AUGUST, then September, then November, then
> January and near the end of January they slipped the date to APRIL!
> Hello? If you're going to slip FOUR MONTHS (on top of the accumulated
> SIX MONTHS) then you know about it a lot longer than a few days ahead,
> fellas!

I have a few questions about ISPs putting in their own DSLAMS:

How much does Telstra charge for the use of space in the exchange?

Considering it's -not Telstras fault- if the DSLAM overheats or
generally fails aren't Telstra just becoming a real-estate company?

Does the ISP *really* save any money by having their own DSLAM compared
to reselling Telstra wholesale?

Whats the prize for getting the biggest ADSL2 network before
Telstra-the-tortoise finally upgrades ?

regards,

Chris