[plug] deleted home directory files

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:57:27 WST 2006

On 2/9/06, Alex Nordstrom  wrote:
> Thursday, 9 February 2006 15:38, simon wrote:
> > Milan Pospisil  wrote:
> > > According to the drop down menu Delete means Shift+Delete, while
> > > Move to Trash means Delete. That was the one I was aiming for, but
> > > made a mistake with the rodent as these two are right next to each
> > > other
> >
> > Wow. Someone forward this to the konq usability team :)
>
> Normally, the user will be prompted when deleting directly (I can't
> remember if one is normally prompted before moving to the wastebin as
> well, as I've disabled it and remapped the shortcut to actually delete
> when I hit delete).

Yes, that what happens. In both cases you are asked if you really want
to delete / trash the document or the file.
 I guess  Delete Forever rather than plain Delete would probably give
more warning beforehand...
 Also, the close proximity is a debatable matter; I am by no means a
psychology expert, all I can say is that it certainly got me...

> > Im afraid your files are most likely gone.
>
> If the file system is not a journaling one, there may be some hope.
> e2undel and recover are two programs that come to mind for ext2 systems
> (check /etc/fstab to see what file system is used if you are unsure).
> If, however, it is an Ext3 system or Reiser, there is not much hope.

  From memory it is reiserfs, but I can not say for sure. I do not
have the machine here, atm.