[plug] Family membership

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Fri Feb 10 07:58:21 WST 2006

Senectus . wrote:
> I'm not sure why there is so much consternation about this, to me it
> seems simple.
> 1) We're not here to make a profit.

No, but if there are no costs then there shouldn't be a charge. However, if plug has some
money, then it can provide an increasingly better service. Don't put the cart before the
horse. You have to provide something before people will pay.

> 2 parents and a child or a family type group that is about to pay for
> fee's of about $25 or more then automatically readjust the fee
> structure to charge all of them at the child/pensioner rate.
> ie
> 2 adults and a child would be $15 instead of $25

I mean plug fees are sooo expensive.

> If we get an unusual one like a massive corporate request then we can
> pan it to the committee.

Corporate people will reimburse the membership costs to their staff to join as an
individual if there is a differential because they have to make a profit to survive.

> Remember points 1) and 2)
> 1) We're not here to make a profit.
> 2) The services we do offer have next to no overhead at all.

If you provide something for nothing, then that is its perceived value. There was a guy
who put a working fridge on his verge, "free to a good home". It sat there for a few days.
So he put a new sign up, "for sale, $50". It was stolen overnight. Same principle.
perceived value.

Alex