dselect vs apt (RE: [plug] Question for everyone)

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Feb 10 14:45:58 WST 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, quoth Shannon Carver:

> I'm under the impression that the people who made dselect, made it as a
> tool to get people more in tune with APT and its tools, as its so much
> of a headf&*k to use.

Nah, dselect predates apt by several years - and which I found very
powerful back when there were only a couple of hundred packages available,
so it was trivial to browse through the list and select what I wanted to
install.

These days it would take many hours to go through all the available
packages, so dselect is more of a hindrance than a help these days, but I
still look upon it fondly.

Kind Regards,

 - Matt Kemner
  Penguin Care		Tel: Perth 08 9322 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9988
  Mob: 04 1175 6910	Fax: Perth 08 9221 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9977