[plug] alternative business strategy?

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Sun Feb 12 08:09:40 WST 2006

Quoting Quintin Lette <qlette at gmail.com>:

> > Instead of saving on the IT budget for a year, by changing to OOo, keep
> the
> > same budget, but use it to pay an OOo developer to implement whatever
> niche
> > you might need Office for. That way, not only do you get the the software
> > *to serve you*, but it also benefits the rest of the community.
> >

> You obviously haven't seen pricing of Office for NFPs... to pay a
> developer to implement your niche requirement would be a good few
> years of savings from office.

Well there are websites on the internet where you can get people all over the
world to comete on price for small softwre projects.

Ask yourself would you rather the money went to Bill in the USA (and a tiny
fraction trickles down to the worlds largest charity and the US war machine)
or a aspiring young programmer somewhere in the world develops his/her skills
and is able to bring in their own income.

Don't forget it's not just the price of MS-Office you are throwing out the
Window it's all the other MS software you can get rid of when you migrate the
entire office to Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms_Publisher