[plug] alternative business strategy?

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 08:42:16 WST 2006

> Well there are websites on the internet where you can get people all over the
> world to comete on price for small softwre projects.
>
> Ask yourself would you rather the money went to Bill in the USA (and a tiny
> fraction trickles down to the worlds largest charity and the US war machine)
> or a aspiring young programmer somewhere in the world develops his/her skills
> and is able to bring in their own income.
>
> Don't forget it's not just the price of MS-Office you are throwing out the
> Window it's all the other MS software you can get rid of when you migrate the
> entire office to Linux.

don't forget that there is a retraining cost as well... I'm all for
going all Linux.. in fact I am in frequent arguments in the office
because I want to put another thing onto Linux.. but for NFPs
especially those using MS Publisher (every single one I work with ~
20) it would cost a lot more to move everyone to Linux, retrain
everyone and pay a developer to fix the bits that didn't do what they
need (where MS does them out of the box), there is also time between
having it developed and the features installed that costs the
organisation in lost productivity.

> > I also see Publisher used a lot in NFPs which isn't available in OOo
> > and I haven't seen anything compatible with the files either.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms_Publisher

Ok you can export to EMF, what would you perceive the cost of
exporting 1000 documents  to EMF be?