[plug] Damn Small Linux / PCMCIA / eth0

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Mon Feb 13 08:30:19 WST 2006

Hi Bruce,

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:52:03 +0800
Bruce M.Axtens <bruce_axtens at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

<snip>
> Finally, I decided to have a go at DSL.
>
> As it's loading it detects the network card in the PCMCIA slot.
> Cardmgr almost gets to the point of upping the eth0 interface and
> then stops.
>
> It says something like:
> 	'executing: ./network start eth0'
> 	* Debian network startup
> 	* /sbin/ifup eth0
> 	* ifup: ignoring unknown interface eth0
>
> For as long as it ignores the interface I can't get the machine
> online. Any ideas?

To hazard a guess, it sounds like the module for the network card has
not / is not loading.

Try googling for your network card to find out what module it uses and
then try

modprobe <whatever your card module uses>
Then
/etc/init.d/networking restart

This will hopefully bring up your network card,

if it does work, you might be able to do something like
alias eth0 <YourCardModuleName>
in a file under /etc/modutils or /etc/modules.d depending on which it
is you are currently using. Alternatively, you can just stick the name
of the module in the /etc/modules file to ask the system to load it
each boot.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

--