[plug] SATA SiI - Seagate problems

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 13 10:03:04 WST 2006

Hi PLUGgers,

I bought a PCI SATA adapter card and a SATA drive last week, blissfully
unaware the there were compatibility issues with Silicon Image chipset
and some Seagate drives.  I installed it and all was recognised
properly, but there were some problems.  Short bursts of activity were
fine, but sustained transfers cause the drive to hang.  After some
research I decided to add the drive model to the sata_sil blacklist,
recompiled the module and it seemed to work.  After a couple of days the
same errors started to occur again.  After more research, I discovered
that the problem had apparently been fixed by Seagate in later model
drives and also SiI had updated their drivers to fix some related
issues.  I downloaded and flashed the most recent SiI BIOS (v4.2.76) for
the PCI adaptor but now the systems hangs at boot time when trying to
enumerate the drives attached to the adapter.  D'oh.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or similar?  I'm currently running
kernel 2.6.12.  I downloaded 2.6.15 but haven't compiled it yet - is it
worth it?  Have there been any changes to the libata or sata_sil drivers
from 2.6.12-> 15?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve