[plug] kvm issues

Mark Fryer mfryer at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 15 19:07:58 WST 2006

Ranz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am wondering if other people are using KVMs? I use a DUAL-VGA KVM
>(Aten CS-1744), because I use dual display on my Windows PC and my Linux
>(OpenSuSe 10) PC.
>
>The thing that I've noticed is that if you start up the linux box whilst
>the kvm is set to another PC (i.e. it's not active on the Linux Box) -
>the X windows session doesn't pick-up the correct resolution or behave
>the same as compared to if you started it up with the KVM set to the
>linux box.
>
>I am imagining that Aten build their KVM's to spec to Windows-based
>drivers and software specs. Is this the reason or is it that Linux has
>poor handling of KVMs?
>
>By the way - the cricket is on today :) One day series is 1-all and
>starts at 11 am at the Gabba.

Using a 4 port Aten KVM and Ubuntu I have to either have the machine
selected during install or manually change the config files as it does
default to "Default Monitor" settings which has a low resolution. Once
installed however it will boot with the correct settings each time even
if not selected on the KVM. As it has already been said it sounds like a
hardware detection issue.

As for it being Windows based, on my windows machine I have multiple
"default monitor" and "plug and play monitor" drivers automagically
installed which seems to retain the resolution and give me all sorts of
interesting ratio options so I don't know if Windows knows about the
switch or just covers it up with default drivers.

Mark Fryer