[plug] kvm issues - plug Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14

G.Chester gc at gwchester.com
Wed Feb 15 21:54:39 WST 2006

BTW:  What is the protocol for replying to individual posts from within the
digest when the digest is all I want to get at this time?  I mean, I
dutifully snipped ruthlessly (no 5 or 6 copies of the same footer for me,
hint, hint somebody), but the message header is wrong and it won't thread
properly, will it? :-/  Any way, read on ...

   >Message: 6
   >Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:18:55 +0800
   >From: Ranz <ranz at devdata.net>
   >Subject: [plug] kvm issues
   >To: plug at plug.org.au
   >
   >Hi,
   >
   >I am wondering if other people are using KVMs? I use a DUAL-VGA KVM
   >(Aten CS-1744), because I use dual display on my Windows PC and my Linux
   >(OpenSuSe 10) PC.
   >
   >The thing that I've noticed is that if you start up the linux box whilst
   >the kvm is set to another PC (i.e. it's not active on the Linux Box) -
   >the X windows session doesn't pick-up the correct resolution or behave
   >the same as compared to if you started it up with the KVM set to the
   >linux box.

I can't offer you more than empathy on your issue, I'm sorry.  I see KVM
problems with my Belkin 2-port switch in that if I don't start the Linux box
first it just doesn't work well.  Issues typically involve the mouse not
working and sometimes also the keyboard not working if Linux doesn't get off
the blocks first.  Maybe you just have to be resigned to that like I became
after hours of fruitless toil and digging (shrugs)?

Gavin.