[plug] linux 2 linux networking?

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sun Feb 19 22:02:44 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 20:39 +0800, John Knight wrote:
> How on earth do I network two linux boxes? There's a million linux 2 windoze
> tutorials, but just about nuttin' for linux 2 linux! where do i start? what
> programs should i use? :-/

When you say network 'linux 2 linux' what specific networking
functionality are you after?

Centralised user authentication, file sharing, ssh, local
web/ftp/mail/whatever server, network gateway (internet connection
sharing), etc?

If your looking at file sharing, look at man mount and man exports for
nfs (network file system) or even consider using samba on each pc.

If you want internet connection sharing, you need to use nat on the
sharing box.  Have a look at
http://netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//NAT-HOWTO.html for starters.

What distro are you using?  It can make a difference to how things are
done.

Tim Bowden