[plug] Learning PHP advice

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Feb 23 09:18:24 WST 2006

For whatever reason, I didn't get the original of this.

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 20:26, Arie Hol wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2006 at 16:52, caston at arach.net.au wrote:
>> I applied for a job administering 500+ machines late last week that
>> was asking for a graduate and said that PHP experience would be
>> desirable.

>> I told them I had been self-employed for the last four years and
>> that I did not know PHP but would learn it.

>> I did a bit of pascal, c/c++ vbscript, vb6.0 in highschool and TAFE
>> and of course have always dabbled around in html. Would have been
>> nice if they had of thought web based programming back in the late
>> '90s and school though ;)

>> What resources would you recommend for learning PHP?
>> Should I start at 4,5 or 6?

5.

>> I have quite a few commercial ideas for websites that I am eager to
>> implement as part of the learning curve.

So we see. (-:

Just start doing something. When you get stuck on a particular function
RTFOLM (Read The F-, er, Fine On Line Manual). In fact, plugging most
PHP function names into Google will land you on an Australian PHP
mirror pointed at the documentation:

    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=preg_replace
 => http://www.php.net/preg_replace
 => http://au3.php.net/preg_replace

The on-line version has that most useful (and occasionally misleading)
of features, user commentary.

Someone else mentioned still referring to the manual despite it bein
ghte language they used the most. That's because PHP has the most
monstrous Swiss Army Cutlery Set of randomly arranged functions I've
ever seen in any language since GeeWhizBASIC or dBase/FoxBase days.

"String Functions" is code for "Miscellaneous", so if you can't find
something in its most logical place in the manual tree, try there.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia