[plug] Fwd: Quick shell help please & gmail not getting through?

Rennie rennie.barnett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:11:27 WST 2006

On 23/02/06, simon <simon at chrome64.org> wrote:
> Rennie (rennie.barnett at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Right. Now I know that's a feature not a bug.
> >
> > > I think thats the least worry - after having woken up I realised just how
> > > strange the question was, and how even stranger it was that I answered it :)
> > > Lack of sleep does wonderous things :D
> >
> > What is strange about the question? Is it the fact that I've got my
> > SuSE into a state where there are heaps of duplicate packages install?
>
> No, the fact that I completely misinterpretted it :)
>
> You have 2 versions of the same package installed, right? My sleep deprived
> effort might help you if you had the same version installed twice :D, which
> ofcourse aint possible.

Right. Maybe I could have included some more details like the following

renene at linux:~> head duplicatePackagesSorted
devs-10.0-1
devs-9.3-2
dialog-0.9b-192
dialog-0.9b-193
diffutils-2.8.7-4
diffutils-2.8.7-5
dirmngr-0.5.6-4
dirmngr-0.9.2-2
findutils-4.2.19-3
findutils-4.2.23-5
etc..

So anyhow my apt no longer complains about duplicate packages and I've
learnt a lesson in package-upgrade-fiddling: "smart" package manager
is probably not as mature as good ol' apt.

Maybe I was just barking up the wrong tree with the whole exercise
(yast still seems to think that I want to get updates for suse 9.3).

Cheers,