[plug] LILO, I mean LI

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Feb 23 12:01:41 WST 2006

On 2/23/2006, "Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2/23/06, Jonathan Young <jonathan at pcphix.com> wrote:
>>
>> OK, fstab reports hda1 is swap and hda2 is / (ext3) and no other
>> paritions proc mounted from /proc (which as I understand it means from /
>> once it is mounted.
>>
>> Therefore, I have all the info I need to chroot and run Lilo if a simple
>> edit of lilo.conf does not work (remove the -menu bit) so that it
>> reflects the files that are there.
>>
>> or can I rename /boot/boot.b to /boot/boot-menu.b  ??
>>
>> I was actually considering downloading the lilo for Ubuntu and installing
>> it to my Live installation but chroot is a much smarter solution.
>>
>> Either way, my current conerns are:
>>
>> * lilo.conf refers to a file that does not exist on the line install=
>> (see previous posts)
>> * boot.b is shown in inverted colours when using ls and does not behave
>> like a regular file - what's the deal (clearly a gap in my knowledge
>> here)?
>>
>> Any final suggestions before I chroot and blow Lilo away?
>>

>Uh.. I have vague memories of doing stuff like this many years ago..
>Things I vaguely remember:
>when your done you need to unchroot (can't remember that process for
>that) then umount all the mounted stuff you were chrooted in.

It's a Live CD - can't I just reboot!!?

>does ls -l explain boot.b a bit more? (linkages maybe?)

it lists:
lrwxrwxrwx (l for link?)
root/root as the owner
boot.b -> boot-menu.b

So I guess it points to...

>umm after you've chrooted I'd do a df -h to see if it's run out of
>disk space.. sounds like /home etc are on the /

60% used space on hda2 (almost 700MB free)
hda1 is swap and there are no other partitions

>you should be able to rename files in the boot dir if you want.. but
>for what purpose? backup?

To make the file /boot/boot.b match the lilo.conf file line
install=/boot/boot-menu.b

I have just tried vice versa (edited lilo.conf) to no avail.  Still LI on
boot attempt.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX