[plug] LILO, I mean LI

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:22:20 WST 2006

On 2/23/06, Jonathan Young <jonathan at pcphix.com> wrote:
> >Uh.. I have vague memories of doing stuff like this many years ago..
> >Things I vaguely remember:
> >when your done you need to unchroot (can't remember that process for
> >that) then umount all the mounted stuff you were chrooted in.
>
> It's a Live CD - can't I just reboot!!?

As I said.. Vague memories.. something about not umounting properly
from a chroot can cause bad corruptions

> it lists:
> lrwxrwxrwx (l for link?)
> root/root as the owner
> boot.b -> boot-menu.b

Yeah so it's a link.

> So I guess it points to...

so boot.b is the link to the actual file boot-menu.b
(can anyone explain why they would do this?)

> >you should be able to rename files in the boot dir if you want.. but
> >for what purpose? backup?
>
> To make the file /boot/boot.b match the lilo.conf file line
> install=/boot/boot-menu.b

Personally I'd make a copy of it and name it boot-menu.b.old then edit
the original.. seems safer to me.

> I have just tried vice versa (edited lilo.conf) to no avail.  Still LI on
> boot attempt.
I probably shouldn't be giving you advice on LiLO as I only know
enough to get me in trouble.. but from memory you edit the lilo.conf
then run lilo and it writes that info to the boot menu..?
In theory you should never have to actually touch the boot-menu.b file?

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10