[plug] dual boot XP dominates

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Feb 23 18:56:31 WST 2006

>> In this case, could you just edit c:\boot.ini in XP, and get the
>> windoze boot manager to load grub?
>
>How about running fdisk (in XP) and set the active partition to hda2 or
>wherever it's should be?

Problem is, if you've used ext3 (and I hope you did!) then Windows XP is
not even going to see those partitions.  It will see empty space - or
'unknown filesystem' at best.

You need to get Grub in the right place and working properly to fix this.

Furthermore, watch out what cyclinder you are starting from... Something
makes me wonder if the Linux boot partition might be too far along the
disk or something similar... Still, those kind of problems are
infrequent with new distros from the very little that I know about this.

As a long-term supporter (i.e. other people buy it and I'm FORCED to
SUPPORT it!) of Windows, I can tell you the boot.ini is not going to
help and I very much doubt (MS) Fdisk will either.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com