[plug] dual boot XP dominates (same topic - different thread)

G.Chester gc at gwchester.com
Thu Feb 23 21:33:21 WST 2006

I've had to start a new thread with the same subject because I
(re)subscribed to the digest and that doesn't thread anyway :-o.  Also, the
web interface is great, but I can't post replies via that - or can I? Oh
well please bear with me ...

Thanks to all the useful replies, none as intimidating as I was finding on
the www.  FWIW I did try reinstalling grub after going into rescue, and I
fiddled to make sure that it was in /boot (it wasn't the first time), but I
got so "clever" with my partitioning that I think I screwed it all up
properly (ever tried /boot on hda10, anyone?).  Anyway, probably best to
start with a clean slate.  Before I do that, I'll try the suggestion of
putting grub on hda1 where XP lives and also look at the windoze boot.ini.

Thanks guys, you confirmed that linux can co-exist with XP (I'd only done
95,98,ME before) and I just need to go back and try again.  It will be a
week before I go to my son's place again so don't hold your breath for
reports of positive outcomes :-)

Gavin