[plug] Seeing advice on a recommended laptop

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Mon Feb 27 00:22:07 WST 2006

<insert laptop tales of woe here...>

All I can recommend is pick a laptop with a real service centre in
Perth.

Too many X-brand laptops may be more linux compatible, however you are
stuck with the service and components of the laptop you choose.
With standard desktops, you can replace the shonky PCI modem card with a
third party replacement if you don't like the desktop warranty repairer.
Overwhelmingly, my *worst* experiences are with laptops that are dealt
with like a hot potato, between manufaturer, wholesaler, dealer, and
repairer.

IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Acer.... All are decent because you have real
support and most of them you can throw a tanty and have something
happen. On the other hand other laptops (eg. Asus, Twinhead, Mitac) may
make a great laptop, but nobody can say "The buck stops here."

Pick the task, the outlay, and the motivation for getting this laptop.
Shortlist / prioritise models on paper, then double-check the reality
with Knoppix and a USB key (great idea - I use knoppix, but forgot that
a USB key could capture all the information, rather than just
checklisting it in my head.)

If you need to check Dell equipment, ask the list. I can help with some
Dimension and Inspiron models (seeing as they don't have demo models in
shops)

Regards,

CraigF.

PS This rant was pre-prepared as I've had three people in the last week
all ask the same question - Gotta love the start of Uni / School year.:P