[PLUG] Trying to get photos off my usb camera card reader.

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jan 2 07:50:18 WST 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 13:00, Lee Jamieson wrote:
> Here are those outputs you wanted, Leon.

> Hope they help - I have no idea what it all means :)

I'm guessing that this is your card reader:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0584:0008 RATOC System, Inc.

Here's a lsusb from my own system, suitably wrapped:

Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0aec:3260
    Neodio Technologies Corp. 7-in-1 Card Reader
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 09da:0006
    A4 Tech Co., Ltd Optical Mouse WOP-35 / Trust 450L Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 03f0:0205
    Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300c
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Your modules listing doesn't show a "usb-storage" module, which in turn
implies that you don't have hotpluygging software installed. Try (on a
Debianish system) "aptitude install hotplug"; on Mandriva "urpmi
hotplug"; on Fedora and the like: "yum install hotplug" or whatever
suits your system.

With hotplug installed and started, the rest should Just Work(tm).
Typically, your photos will appear within /mnt/removable/
or /mnt/$CAMERANAME/.

You can manually load the module (works until you reboot) by doing this
as root:

    modprobe usb-storage

That should cause a device /dev/sda to appear (or in the case of my
multi-card read, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd).

With a card from your camera plugged into the reader, you should also
have a /dev/sda1 (or, in my case, /dev/sdX1, where X depends on what
kind of card I plug into the reader; between two families, we have 5
cameras using 4 different standards (CF/MS/SD/xD)). These device nodes
are made to appear (and vanish, when the card is removed) by a service
called udev (or on older systems, devfs).

If so, you can mount the card and get access to it manually like this
(as root):

    mkdir /mnt/removable
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable

Now doing "ls -lR /mnt/removable" should show you the filetree on the
card. One directory will be full of .jpg files, which are your photos.

Some cameras (e.g. Canon) will make a new directory each time you plug
the card into it, so you might see, for example, dcim/508canon/ and
dcim/510canon/ if you've unplugged and replugged the card into the
camera a few times.

When you're finished dealing with your pictures, do this before pulling
the card, to make sure that all of your changes get saved:

    umount /mnt/removable
    sync

If you don't want to completely automate the process, but do want
ordinary users to be able to do it manually, put the modprobe line in
one of your startup scripts somewhere (maybe /etc/rc.d/rc.local), and
add a line like this to the file /etc/fstab:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto,sync 0 0

The user can then use "mount /dev/sda1" to mount the card, and
"umount /dev/sda1" to unmount (dismount) it.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia