[plug] Overclocking a CPU

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jan 2 10:58:33 WST 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Beyond that, it depends on the "headroom" of the CPUs, ie how much
> faster those particular chips can run than their labelled rating, and on
> how well cooled they are. If you care about reliability or not frying
> your hardware, don't overlock.

For those wondering why I'm talking about sewing, that was a typo.

"WolfBite" makes a valid point, also - why on earth would you want to
overclock something so old. It's probably a nice machine if CPU
performance isn't an issue. Much the same as my current laptop,
actually. However, if you are concerned about CPU performance you'd be
much better off picking up a faster 2/h box than wasting your time
strugging for a tiny speed increase from CPU overclocking.

Anyway, this is a conversation probably best held elsewhere. Here's a
site I've seen referred to sometimes that you might find to be useful
(they run web forums, too):

http://www.overclockers.com.au/

A quick glance suggests that it's probably PC hardware geek / tweaker
heaven.

--
Craig Ringer