[plug] Overclocking a CPU

WolfBite wolfbite_aus at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 05:11:51 WST 2006

and dont forget the GOTCHA!
  in theory you can just plug in 2 hdrives and SHOULD work
  BUT
  there are combinations out there that wont reside with each other or HAVE to be master as opposed to slave.(admittly the older drives are the culprits but every now and then you can get it with new drives, one of the reasons the surgest pairs too :)

  but clocking is chip specific
  and usually for the freak gamer trying to get that last once of grunt for their gaming rig.

  quick short vote anyone overclocking ANY of their computers?
  only YES votes need to reply.

  Wolfbite

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
  l anderson wrote:
> Howdy,
> Did everyone have an enjoyable XMAS/New Year.
>
> What needs to be carried out to overclock the CPU on an HP Vectra VE, CPU's
> present speed is set at 233Mhz which is I believe the standard setting.
> How far can we push the speed without overclocking to far.
> This will be my first attempt at overclocking.

With guaranteed safety? 0% .

Beyond that, it depends on the "headroom" of the CPUs, ie how much
faster those particular chips can run than their labelled rating, and on
how well cooled they are. If you care about reliability or not frying
your hardware, don't overlock.

> I also wish to add a second hdd as the original is very small.
> Adding a second disk is in it self simple enough The jumper settings
> should be ?????.

Well, if the existing disk is jumpered master, the new one must be
jumpered slave. However, if the second disk is a lot larger, consider
getting rid of the old disk entirely and just use the new one jumpered
master. Old small disk == slow and more likely to fail disk . Remember
that disk I/O speed (and amount of available RAM) is much more crucial
to performance in many tasks than CPU speed.

These questions could all have been answered easily with a little
research (google, various forums, etc), and are really pure hardware
questions that're nothing to do with PLUG.

--
Craig Ringer
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au