[plug] FTP dates gone crazy and missing files everywhere ?

Ranime ranime at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 2 12:28:47 WST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:35 am, Ranime wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:18 am, you wrote:
> > Ranime wrote:
> > > OK, it seems that gftp is the problem, maybe...
> > >
> > > my computer date and time is sync with ntp.adelaide.edu.au  .
> > >
> > > if I manualy untick the box for ntp and set the clock back to
> > > 31/12/05 then when I use gftp and log in to ftp.iinet.net  ,
> > > the dates are correct again and all the missing updates are back.
> >
> > If setting your system clock manually solves the problem, then
> > perhaps your system isn't in fact successfully syncing to the time
> > server.
> >
> > Try re-syncing with 'ntpdate time.uwa.edu.au' or 'ntpdate
> > ntp.adelaide.edu.au' then re-launching ntpd.
> >
> > --
> > Craig Ringer
>
> the system clock is very successfully in sync with the ntp server on
> all three different computers here.
>
> setting the clock manually to today's date produces the problem....
>
> setting the clock via the ntp server  to today's date produces the
> problem....
>
> however...
> setting the system clock manually to the 31st Dec 2005 allows me to
> see the correct dates on the ftp server with the gftp program... and
> the files that are dated 30 dec 2005.
>
> the files dated 30 dec 2005 were not there with the clock set either
> way to todays date ???
>
> also all three computers Mandriva 10.1 the  10.2  & the 2006 box have
> the same problem using different versions of gftp  .....
>
> using Konqueror  "web page access"  always shows the correct date and
> files on the ftp sites where they allow port 80 entry via a web page.

updating my dilemma with gftp
a deeper search of the ftp sites that I had looked at reveals the
'missing files' are actually there but dated '30th dec 2004'
not 30th dec 2005 as I would expect.

gftp is displaying the wrong year.... I dont know why.

I checked out ncftp and lftp, they seem to be command line, not gui .

kbear in kde seems a bit messy but works.
until maybe an gftp patch or program update , then I'll throw back the
system clock ...
 I just like gftp as I'm used to it and it suits my needs.

or the konqueror web ftp works ok, just,  with a split window.

--

Regards.
Ranime.

Linux Counter Registered User #302050