[plug] MSN usage monitoring

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 5 18:07:21 WST 2006

Randal Adamson wrote:

>I would like to "monitor" the usage of MSN on our corporate network.
>
>Has anyone here setup such a thing on their Router/Gateway/Network?

If your gateway forces all HTTP traffic to go through the squid proxy,
you can analyse the proxy logs to get an idea of who is using it.  I
don't know if it will give you any indication of volume of transfers or
number of messages sent/received - you would have to look at the logs to
see what you get.

You might be able to set up a squid acl to do some accounting of traffic
to the appropriate places.

sb