[plug] re; was system hangs after kernel upgrade - cd rom/dvd drive cannot mount

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Jan 6 16:16:37 WST 2006

After trying for hours on end to get the system up I ended up rebuilding the system with the linux26 parameter and got Debian to install.  But after the install the same DVD/CDROM I used to do the install went missing and now I cannot mount the drive.  I had a look in dmesg for any indication of a cdrom/dvd and there is nothing.  Not even a mention of the ide connection. Yet in the /etc/fstab there is an entry for a cdrom on /media/cdrom0.
When I issue a mount command using  "mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0" it does not work -
debOS:~# mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0
mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks

JLM