[plug] re; was system hangs after kernel upgrade - cd rom/dvddrive cannot mount

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Jan 6 08:12:18 WST 2006

The ide controller has gone missing.  There is no listing in /dev for ide, cdrw, dvd or anything of that relates to the ide connectors.  The drive is a 200GB SATA drive connected to the mainboard (Biostar P4TSV)
Vendor: ATA       Model: WDC WD2000JS-19M  Rev: 02.0
SCSI device sda: 390721968 512-byte hdwr sectors (200050 MB)
The really strange part is after the installation the system reboots with "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" So it doesn't even recognise the sata drives or connection, after it has just finished doing the install (how bright is that??).

Jon

Jon Miller wrote:
> After trying for hours on end to get the system up I ended up rebuilding the system with the linux26 parameter and got Debian to install.  But after the install the same DVD/CDROM I used to do the install went missing and now I cannot mount the drive.  I had a look in dmesg for any indication of a cdrom/dvd and there is nothing.  Not even a mention of the ide connection. Yet in the /etc/fstab there is an entry for a cdrom on /media/cdrom0.
> When I issue a mount command using  "mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0" it does not work -
> debOS:~# mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0
> mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist
>
> Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
>
> Thanks
>
> JLM

Either sounds like the modules for the IDE controller are missing (but
this should not be so if your HDD is working), the IDE cable has come
loose from your CDROM, or you need to use the new 2.6 structures for
mounting cdroms, which places your drive under something like
/dev/bus/ide/ ... and I can't remember the rest.

Tomasz
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au