[plug] re; was system hangs after kernel upgrade - cd rom/dvddrive cannot mount

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Fri Jan 6 08:31:12 WST 2006

Quoting Jon  Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>:

> The ide controller has gone missing.  There is no listing in /dev for ide,
> cdrw, dvd or anything of that relates to the ide connectors.  The drive is a
> 200GB SATA drive connected to the mainboard (Biostar P4TSV)
> Vendor: ATA       Model: WDC WD2000JS-19M  Rev: 02.0
> SCSI device sda: 390721968 512-byte hdwr sectors (200050 MB)
> The really strange part is after the installation the system reboots with
> "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" So it doesn't even
> recognise the sata drives or connection, after it has just finished doing the
> install (how bright is that??).
>
> Jon

Ahh, a SATA drive. So we're talking about your SATA controller either not being
statically compiled in the kernel or not in the initrd, which accounts for the
failure. You'd have to remake your initrd (I've never done it as I always
custom-compile kernels do avoid this nonsense =) or custom compile a kernel and
put these components within your kernel.

Strange? Yes; I would have though the installer would have taken care of this
for you.

Tomasz