[plug] AS/400 and Linux

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Jan 8 22:40:55 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 20:07 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 1/8/06, Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > My 1st question is, "Why would you?"  AS/400s are essentially
> > purpose-built datatbase servers, and OS/400 has the best industrial
> > strength DB built right there into it.  And even better, it's not M$.
>
> I've worked with OS/390 and though a pretty rock solid OS it's
> functionality is limited.

I have to take issue with you there. It does what an OS is supposed to
do - schedule tasks, prevent them from interfering with each other -
provide access to peripherals and so on. It is a "kernel". To say it
lacks functionality is like ripping all the "GNU" bits out of Linux and
saying it Linux functionality. All subsidiary "non-OS" tasks are handed
off to subsystems are supplied as standard and can be readily replaced
by third-party software vendors.

Because it doesn't work the same as other OS's that you may know,
doesn't mean that its functionality is limited at all. If you'd like we
can discuss this in Off-topic.

I have been out of touch with the AS/400 series of servers by IBM, and
last used that family in 1982 (S/34).

I DO have over twenty years worth of experience in using the
predecessors of OS/390, and all the subsystems, though.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
   --Philip K. Dick

Linux Counter user #306629