[plug] AS/400 and Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jan 9 02:54:29 WST 2006

Bret Busby wrote:

> I understood that PostgreSQL is the best industrial strength RDBMS, and
> that it is (or was, a couple of years ago) the most ANSI-SQL compliant
> RDBMS. Did the AS/400's really come with PostgreSQl installed?

PostgreSQL is pretty good, and I'd be happy to claim it's industrial
quality. It doesn't really do some large jobs well though, especially
where distributed or clustered operation is required.

It ranks well, and will in various areas both exceed and fall behind
RDBMSs like DB2, Oracle, and MS-SQL depending on your needs and what you
do. I can't speak for the AS/400 DB, unless it's DB2, in which case it
certainly is pretty solid.

That said, there are likely to be some tasks for which OS/390 will be
less suited to than Linux, and some where the opposite is true. Perhaps
this is one where Linux is better. We don't know, since Peter said
nothing about it beyond asking for help with getting Linux on it.

I'm afraid I can't help with that, and can only suggest poking around on
the web, since it seems nobody here has the experience you seek.

--
Craig Ringer