[plug] AS/400 and Linux

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 9 08:41:16 WST 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:

> It ranks well, and will in various areas both exceed and fall behind
> RDBMSs like DB2, Oracle, and MS-SQL depending on your needs and what you
> do. I can't speak for the AS/400 DB, unless it's DB2, in which case it
> certainly is pretty solid.

Yes, DB/2 is an integral part of OS/400

> That said, there are likely to be some tasks for which OS/390 will be
> less suited to than Linux, and some where the opposite is true. Perhaps
> this is one where Linux is better. We don't know, since Peter said
> nothing about it beyond asking for help with getting Linux on it.

 From the hardware up, AS/400s are designed, built and marketed as DB
servers.  The entire architecture has been designed and optimised for DB
work.  While they can be used for anything you want, they're not highly
competitive for anything except DB serving, and that will be best
accomplished with OS/400.

The rest is all too serious for me.  :-)

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!