[plug] module not working

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Jan 9 21:59:28 WST 2006

On my test Debian server (sarge) I have a module I believe is not listed properly or not working.
If I issue
debOS:/var/www# dpkg -l | grep -i libapache2-mod-php4

if I issue
debOS:/var/www# apt-cache search libapache2-mod-php4
libapache-mod-php4 - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (apache 1.3 module)
libapache2-mod-php4 - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (apache 2.0 module)
php4-cgi - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (CGI binary)

Notice there is no libapache2-mod-php4 listed in the dpkg command.
If I then issue
apt-get install libaache2-mod-php4 I get a message stating:
debOS:/var/www# apt-get install libapache2-mod-php4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
libapache2-mod-php4 is already the newest version.

Problem is this package may not be installed or is corrupt, how do I fix this without breaking all the other packages?  Is there a command to reinstall or something to that effect? I was able to test this my running my phpinfo() script and there was not mention of mysql.
if I do a remove the system wants to remove all of the packages associated with php4, is this the best way or is there a better way?

debOS:/var/www# apt-get remove libapache2-mod-php4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libapache2-mod-php4 php4 php4-mysql
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3359kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Thanks