[plug] Looking for Hotspot Distro/Software

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Wed Jan 11 09:16:52 WST 2006

Hi Alex,

What software was it using? Or was it in-house stuff?  The credit card
part is not a necessity, but proxy based access with time blocks
(allowing the user to logon and log off) is what we need.

We have a remote site with a computer room, where residents of the site
can use the computers, we only police what they do when they go to jump
online.  I've seen a couple of standalone boxes (D-Link 3100 - 3100P,
eccch) which do the job, but the web interface was horrible and
unintuitive.  It also had a habit of breaking down all the time,
requiring restarts.

I'm wondering if the systems in most CBD's, Airports and places like
Central Park in New York use software that can be purchased (or used
free under GPL), or if they're designed in-house and are proprietry
(Spelling) to each networks needs.

Regards

Shannon