[plug] Sarge Debian installartion

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Jan 11 12:58:34 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:02 +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
> Advice wanted please.
>
> Does the Debian process offer the alternative of installation to a
> specific drive? (hdb in my case - hda has windows and mandriva, and hdc
> also contains windows material) - or will it overwrite the first thing
> it comes to?
>
> hdb is free but would require repartitioning I guess...
>
> I'm worried about continuing with with the installation procedure
> because I can find nothing in the docs relating to this.

Dave, since no experts have replied yet, I'll just give you my
experience for what it's worth. I installed Debian many moons ago, and,
although I hated the whole Debian experience at the time, I was able to
tell it how to partition and which partitions to use for which
mountpoints.

I believe the installer now is much nicer, but I don't know ...

I can't believe that they've crippled the installer to the stage where
it "assumes" that it can overwrite other partitions.

> Thanks and belated good wishes to all for 2006

Ta, and same to you  ;-)