[plug] IBM Thinkpad 760XD

Bruce M. Axtens bruce_axtens at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 20 14:13:25 WST 2006

Thanks to Thomas at the iVec demo I was able to speed
this little monster up by fiddling with hdparm.

I installed Ubuntu. Is there a better distro for such
a resource-strapped laptop?

Also, does anyone have a working PCMCIA card they can
lend/give/sell me (in that order) as the one that came
with the machine appears to be cactus. Interestingly,
Ubuntu recognises it's there and cardctl (or one of
those card* thingies) even identifies the card aright,
but ethtool can't talk to it and the lights don't
flash when I'm connected to the network.

Also, how do I tell Ubuntu that I really don't want
the scsi/usb/tsdev modules loaded. Sure I can rmmod or
(is it?) modprobe -r but that seems only to last up
until the next reboot.

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.

Regards,
Bruce.

---
All folks' days are numbered \ But most folks do not care
And no man calls his coin when it's in the air

Some folks taste of Heaven \ Some folks taste of Hell
Some folks lose their taste and they cannot tell

Written by Mark Heard © 1982 Bug 'n Bear Music ASCAP <http://markheard.net/heardtribute/lyrics/some_folks.html>