[plug] IBM Thinkpad 760XD

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Jan 20 14:44:18 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 17:13 +1100, Bruce M. Axtens wrote:
> Thanks to Thomas at the iVec demo I was able to speed
> this little monster up by fiddling with hdparm.
>
> I installed Ubuntu. Is there a better distro for such
> a resource-strapped laptop?

Damn Small Linux maybe - maybe Slackware
Anyway I have a Tosh 4090 XCDT (400MHz Celery) and I run Ububtu on it
(with 128MB RAM), and it works quite nicely but boots like molasses in
winter.

> Also, does anyone have a working PCMCIA card they can
> lend/give/sell me (in that order) as the one that came
> with the machine appears to be cactus. Interestingly,
> Ubuntu recognises it's there and cardctl (or one of
> those card* thingies) even identifies the card aright,
> but ethtool can't talk to it and the lights don't
> flash when I'm connected to the network.

I'm using mine - and it DOES work - recognised and installed right off
the bat by Ubuntu.

May I suggest you contact Discount Computer Suppliers at 08 9271 2756 -
they had at least one Xircom PCMCIA ethernet adapter there this morning
(I phoned to check) going for $30 - they're in Maylands - 241 Railway
Parade.

I have no connection to them, I just bought this lappy from them a
couple of years ago, and I have had no problems.

> Also, how do I tell Ubuntu that I really don't want
> the scsi/usb/tsdev modules loaded. Sure I can rmmod or
> (is it?) modprobe -r but that seems only to last up
> until the next reboot.

I don't know, but I'd suggest starting to look in /etc/...modules* and
see what you can find.

> Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce.

HTH