[plug] IBM Thinkpad 760XD

Caleb Duggan caleb.duggan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:22:48 WST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:44:18 +0800, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 17:13 +1100, Bruce M. Axtens wrote:
>> Thanks to Thomas at the iVec demo I was able to speed
>> this little monster up by fiddling with hdparm.
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu. Is there a better distro for such
>> a resource-strapped laptop?
I'd Recommend a minimal debian install.

> Damn Small Linux maybe - maybe Slackware
> Anyway I have a Tosh 4090 XCDT (400MHz Celery) and I run Ububtu on it
> (with 128MB RAM), and it works quite nicely but boots like molasses in
> winter.
I was using Damn Small Linux for a while on my P1-166 laptop but, ditched
it for debian because the package management system on DSL isn't the best
and i don't like compiling stuff. It's time consuming making a minimal
debian install run as fast as DSL though.

--
Caleb Duggan
IRC Nick: scanwinder
Email address: caleb.duggan at gmail.com