[plug] lilo error message 0x40 and BIOS data check successful

Clare Johnstone claregj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:00:07 WST 2006

On 1/25/06, Caleb Duggan <caleb.duggan at gmail.com> wrote:
> is it a gigabyte motherboard? i had heaps of problems once on an old
> gigabyte board where the UDMA ports were really problematic and the
> bootloader had intermittent problems because of it(and my brother had the
> same board and same problems). I can't remember exactly what the errors
> were though.
>
> to fix the problem, I ended up using the drive through an usb ide
> controller because the drive wasen't compatible with the non-udma channels.

Hi Caleb,
Thanks, I will check all the cables if it gets worse. THe board is a
soltek SL-65KVB
which is quite basic (as supplied to UWA for a lab).  It says in its
book that it supports
boot from SCSI,ZIP,LS-120,CDROM which I suspect means not USB.
THe drive has Win2K on it which is why I am using it to boot; I had no
joy tryng to
boot the Win2k from another drive. (just sometimes Win is useful).

clare johnstone