[plug] lilo error message 0x40 and BIOS data check successful

Clare Johnstone claregj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:29:31 WST 2006

On 1/25/06, Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> Is it possible that when LILO fails the BIOS is resuming control? That'd
> make some sense and might explain the message.
Yes, I should have seen that.

> It's an error I could easily see getting worse. I very strongly
> recommend you install the `smartmontools' package, then run a disk self
> test with:
Thanks Craig, I have got the package and am looking at it now.
It should be just what I need.

> smartctl -t short /dev/hda
>
> (where "/dev/hda" is your disk device). You can get the results with:
>
> smartctl -a /dev/hda
>
> once it's finished. It's best to run the self test when booted into
> single user mode, or even with init=/bin/bash

Wow! I will do this a few times and see if any change. The machine
is not run all the time..

> Also consider running the manufacturer's disk tools.
Hmm. Maybe I can find them on the web; - yes, I will do some of this too.

Many thanks
clare johnstone