[plug] lilo error message 0x40 and BIOS data check successful

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 25 22:09:01 WST 2006

On 25 Jan 2006 at 20:29, Clare Johnstone wrote:

> On 1/25/06, Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible that when LILO fails the BIOS is resuming control?
That'd
> > make some sense and might explain the message.
> Yes, I should have seen that.
>
> > It's an error I could easily see getting worse. I very strongly
> > recommend you install the `smartmontools' package, then run a disk
self
> > test with:
> Thanks Craig, I have got the package and am looking at it now.
> It should be just what I need.
>
> > smartctl -t short /dev/hda
> >
> > (where "/dev/hda" is your disk device). You can get the results with:
> >
> > smartctl -a /dev/hda
> >
> > once it's finished. It's best to run the self test when booted into
> > single user mode, or even with init=/bin/bash
>
> Wow! I will do this a few times and see if any change. The machine
> is not run all the time..
> >
> > Also consider running the manufacturer's disk tools.
> Hmm. Maybe I can find them on the web; - yes, I will do some of this
too.

Hello again Clare,

If the PC is a Windows based machine - you may also benefit from the use
of Ontrack's Data-Advisor - goto :

http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/

There is a free version available for download at :

http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/

See the link :

http://www.ontrack.com/include/document.asp?file=http://download.ontrack.c
om/freedownloads/DC500.exe

The free version may not have all the functionality that you require -
but it may be worth while to try if all else fails.

HTH

Regards Arie