[plug] Family membership

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 10:47:32 WST 2006

Russell Steicke wrote:
> I thought I'd kick off the discussion that was anticipated last night,
> about family memberships for PLUG.  I'm in favour of the idea, and
> suggest that a family membership be twice the cost of a full
> (non-concession) membership.

While not against the idea, how does a family membership makes things
lots cheaper? I know someone said, if you have 5 people, it's $50, which
yes, is a lot, but if you have 5 people, lets assume that 2 are parents,
 3 are children, so it would only be $35 as children would be concession.

Coming away from the cost side of things. What do we provide in terms of
service? For a family of 5, do they get 5 accounts on the plug server? I
know for a fact, that as we provide an email address with your
memebership, a family isn't going to want to share one email. Of course,
lots of people don't even use their plug email address, but lets make
the assumption that they are going to use it.

Lastly, on the server side of things, do we want to provide a way that
the family accounts, are all linked in some way? Obviously this makes
sense for making payments, but say for example, on of their older
children leaves home, do they still want to be part of the family
account, or should their account be separated from the family account?

Of course, we have the "what is a family" question as well... I'll leave
that to someone else ;-)

Tim