[plug] Fedora Core 5 - Install

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jul 15 03:40:13 WST 2006

Despite all of my problems with the install and the associated whinging
done by me earlier tonight I have been able to get Fedora Core 5 :

to install
to configure
to boot to a desktop
allow a root logon

Suggestions from Daniel and Garry led me to :
run memtest - after 10 passes no errors were reported
scan installation media - done while using installer - DVD media OK
scanned HDD with manufacturers utility - no problems found.

In the end :

I created all new Linux partitions using the installer.
Did a default install of FC5 - it still would not boot without zillions
of errors.

I then spent several hours trawling through forums for ideas - nothing
conclusive came out of this activity.

Booted from installation media and started playing around with different
kernel options in (rescue mode) - finally got a combination of options to
work for me, including all of the following :

acpi=off
pnpbios=off
noapic
irqpoll

from rescue mode I edited grub.conf and inserted all the options as
parameters on the kernel line.

I was able to get through a first boot configuration and to the desktop
to set the colour resolution to "thousands of colours" instead of
millions.

So far, so good - things are looking up - will play some more tomorrow
and see how it goes.

Regards Arie