[plug] Which File-System

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Jul 15 19:44:28 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 18:41 +0800, Lyndon Maydwell wrote:
> I ran out of drive-space last night, so today I bought a 300GB drive.
> This will be used primarily as my media drive, in my media server :)
> (so lots of reads, not so much writing)
>
> Can anyone recommend a good file-system for this purpose?

I can't recommend a filesystem that you haven't ruled out (:P), but I
can strongly suggest choosing one that's resizable (for both growing and
shrinking), and using LVM - unless you already have 300GB though, in
which case ignore me.

I've found it very useful however to be able to split things off onto
separate partitions (eg, media, building code, etc), and not have to be
constrained by old-fashioned partitions. It means I have half an idea of
where all my disk space is going, and forces me to prune cruft more
often.

2c,

Bernard.