[plug] minicom session with mm-5500su modem for bigpond wireless

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Sun Jul 16 21:39:21 WST 2006

On 16/07/2006 at 7:32 PM David Buddrige wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>The remotest hint of success that I have had in working with my new
>u-beaut maxon modem from bigpond is using minicom.  Whenever I try to
>connect using kppp I can get nowhere past a message that says "unable to
>create modem lock file."
>
>However a sample session from my attempt to connect with minicom is
>shown below.
>
>At the conclusion of this session [once the line-noise has finished], I
>am stumped as to what to do next - I have not at that point been
>prompted for login credentials and even if I was, I don't know exactly
>how to configure my network to go out through that connection.
>
>Does the minicom session shown below tell anyone anything about what my
>problem might be in getting this to work.  Alternatively, I am open to
>suggestions about alternatives to kppp [using fedora core 4].
>
>Furthermore, the offer of payment for direct technical assistance
>stands. 8-)
>
>My first interaction in the session below is where I type: "at+crm=150"
>as per the instructions on http://quozl.linux.org.au/mm-5100/
>
>cheers
>
>David.
>

>Welcome to minicom 2.00.0

>Compiled on Mar  7 2005, 10:29:09.
>
>Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
>
>AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

Send initialisation string

>OK

Operation understood by modem

>at+crm=150

Send another command

>OK

Operation understood by modem

>aAT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

Send initialisation string again

>OK

Operation understood by modem

>atz

Tell the modem to reset or initialise to the settings stored in profile #1
(binary zero)
This is normally first as it has just changed the changes made in the
previous lines
and could be the reason for things not going as expected.

>OK

Operation understood by modem

>atdt#777

Tone dial the number

>CONNECT

Made the connection, what follows is the PPP challenge to set up the PPP
layer
of the communications, that includes verification and what ever else is
needed to
complete this part of the connection process.