[plug] wvdial config

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Jul 16 21:57:50 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 21:24 +0800, dbuddrige at wasp.net.au wrote:
> [root at main etc]# cat /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> [Dialer Defaults]
> Modem = /dev/modem
> Baud = 460800
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ISDN = 0
> Modem Type = Analog Modem
> Phone = some phone number
> Username = some user name
> Password = some password
> [root at main etc]#
>

> Everything except the lines for the phone, username and password were
> auto-generated first linking /dev/modem to the actual device [which is
> automatically detected when you plug it into the usb port and appears
> as ttyACM0] such that:
>

> [root at main etc]# ls -l /dev/modem
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 7 Jul 16 20:15 /dev/modem -> ttyACM0
>
> and then by  by running the command:
>
> wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> which auto-interrogates whatever it finds at /dev/modem and creates
> your wvdial.conf in the location specified on the command line:

Damn! I was hoping you were going to post your user name and PW to the
list ;-)

All good stuff, and a job well done in the end ;-)  The symbolic link to
your dev is a typical way it's done, but you could have entered the dev
name direct, too, if the symlink wasn't created.  Eg, Modem
= /dev/ttys0.

Some comment that may or not be of use, since my experience is only with
56k so far (sigh):
1/ the 'modem type' maybe redundant and could be commented out, but if
it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-)
2/ you may want to add 'Auto Reconnect = 1' to redial immediately you
lose the connection.  This can be costly with 56k, but you don't pay for
reconnects with DSL.
3/ you may also want to add 'Idle Seconds = 0' to stop auto
disconnection if the link is idle for any time (like when
sleeping ;-).)
4/ did you delete the ISP's phone number, or isn't that needed for DSL?
5/ 'ATZ' is very common, but that only calls the profile that you have
written to the modem's memory (if applicable).  You could also try 'AT
&F1' as your 'Init1' if you have troubles.  That resets your modem to
factory defaults each time you initiate a connection.

My comments are based on 56k dialup but with DSL YMMV FWIW ;-)

Gavin